We are pleased to announce that in 2017, the ATFC organized multiple events and had raised over $90,000 through its Educational Outreach Project, Change for Life (C4L).
In Turkey we:
- Supported 990 students in 3 schools in Mardin and Urfa in Turkey. (stationery supplies, books, computers, projectors, coats)
- Offered Scholarships to 50 students (elementary through college)
- Provided "Bayram" shoes for over 200 children in Mardin elementary school.
In the US:
- Initiated a partnership with Moving in the Spirit, a youth development program that uses the art of dance to positively transform the lives of children and teens (ages 3 to 18) in Atlanta, Georgia. The collaboration will include need-based financial aid/scholarships for the girls in their programs and a two-year peer-to-peer hybrid learning project with students from Atlanta and Turkey. The students will learn each other's cultural dances via online exchanges and in-person workshops and create a video.
- ATFC provided financial aid for 15 girls its GLOW in Motion and Girls in Motion programs.
Annually ATFC’s C4L committee hosts two campaigns; the spring fundraising event, and in the fall, the Movie Night presentation.
To date, our individual and corporate donors’ gifts for both initiatives exceeded $650,000 to sponsor over 14,000 students.
ATFC Board members organized several meetings with renowned artists from Turkey and US. In January, they met Fahir Atakoğlu who is one of the most Influential Turkish American Artist. Also, in April 2017 ATFC board members and their families "meet and greet" the Turkish Artist, Bass-baritone Burak Bilgili, who performed the title role of Don Pasquale with the Atlanta Opera.
Board members had organized several “Dinner with Friends” events where they could network and discuss the future ATFC projects and directions in a warm and friendly ambiance.
The Program” School Project to promote Turkey to American Students” was a significant success too. In January 2017 ATFC had an excellent opportunity to present Turkey and share Turkish culture with young ladies who study at Atlanta Girls' School. Thanks to our young volunteer Ege Akın, students had the opportunity to win some gifts, ask questions and taste Turkish sweets. The delight of the meeting was terrific Musical Performance by Onur Gül.
Also, our young volunteers from 6th through 12th grades participated together with their parents packing boxes of healthy and nutritious food for the sick and homeless last winter 2017. Project Open Hand is a community service initiated by TACAGA and ATFC in 2016. It’s engaging the Turkish-American Youth Chapter with the broad purpose of in-service leadership and helping them develop a friendship network.
In spring 2017 more than 140 students and invitees participated in the Taste of Turkey event organized by ATFC together with Turkish Cultural and Student Association. The dinner was held at Veteran's Memorial Hall at Georgia State University, and there was also a short presentation on the history, culture, and tourist attractions of Turkey, followed by a live Oud performance.
In October of 2017 due to devastating Hurricanes in Huston and Puerto Rico, ATFC organized a fundraising event to support victims of those catastrophic natural disasters. Atlanta 's finest musicians and bands performed a benefit Concert at Agnes Scott College. ATFC raised over $ 3,000, proceeds that have been donated to South Union Community Development Corporation in Huston and Red Cross Puerto Rico.
Also in winter of 2017, we continue the tradition to display our Christmas trees at Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson Airport International Terminal and Fernbank's Annual Winter Wonderland. They exhibited ceramic balls and kaftans with traditional Ottoman ceramic tile motives.
Thank you for contributing to all these events. Your donations will be used to support the education of disadvantaged, Turkish and American, children and adolescent girls through the ATFC - C4L Project. Also, to continue the ATFC mission promoting education, trade and cultural understanding between the United States of America and the Republic of Turkey.
Fri, Mar 16, 2018